Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Agency

This is the Pause for Thought from yesterday's Chris Evan's show:

From Canon Ann Easter, Chief Executive of a Charity and Chaplain to the Queen:

"Last week, I told you the story of my first grand piano and how it got stuck on the stairs! I sold that piano after a while and bought a lovely modern upright, but my children never forgave me.

Fast forward to August 1997 and I was all ready to do my bit on Radio 2 when the phone rang at about 5 o'clock in the morning and it was my producer telling me the shocking news that Diana, Princess of Wales, had died in a terrible accident and asking if I’d be able to stay for the whole programme, instead of the half hour or so that I usually do. So that’s what I did.
But when the time came to leave Broadcasting House, I couldn’t go out the usual way as the press were all there, so I went the back way and found myself standing in front of a staff notice board and there, singing out to me, was a card which said ‘Grand Piano for sale’ and I just knew I’d got to have it.

And when I saw and heard that magnificent instrument which belonged to a Music teacher and composer whose poor arthritic hands were so painful that he could no longer play it, although I already had a piano and despite the fact that I didn’t have the money, I heard myself saying ‘I’ll take it’.

Three weeks after I got it home, my dear Dad collapsed and was rushed to hospital where he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and we spent the next few months looking after him. As my work was nearby, I’d be with him 2, sometimes 3, times a day and when I finally got home, I’d cry a lot then bash hell out of the piano. Very loudly.

It was a great privilege to look after my Dad but it was without doubt the most difficult time of my life and I’m sure that that piano was a gift from God to me to help me get through it.
I reckon that, whatever life throws at us, God is there with us and one way or another, God gives us the wherewithal, the encouragement, the support, to cope.
It’s up to us to notice God’s gift – and make the most of it!"

Rather neatly, this is the latest Jesus and Mo:


Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...