Thursday, July 12, 2012

Olympic Torch Relay in Salisbury

I know that there are many valid criticisms of London 2012, but I am still excited by it, and have been looking forward to it since it's announcement. I enjoy sport - both taking part, and watching others, and it was in that spirit I wanted to see the relay. One of my friends described the relay as a once in a lifetime opportunity to be underwhelmed, but I thought it was good fun! Everyone was in a good mood, and were happy, and obviously as school projects, there were a lot of children with homemade flags, and looked very sweet.


Here's the start in Salisbury (which I was also leased to see - I wondered how the flame was transported):



It was a jolly atmosphere, and I lamented not being with any capoeiristas, it was just the mood for an impromptu roda! The relay finished in Hudson's Field, where there'd been things going on all day, and I walked up there to see what was happening. With the crowds of people (which were nice to see) there was no chance of keeping up with the relay, so I missed seeing it arrive in the field. But the events were good - I enjoyed the band that were on the stage (alas, I don't know who they were, but they were rocking the stage).

I got to have my picture with one of the torches:


Whilst one of those valid criticisms alluded to is the way the events been sponsored, it was good to see a tent with lots of local businesses - yummy homemade confectionary, cheeses, sausages, charities and The Wiltshire Tea Company, who are serious about their tea (in a good way!).  Can't wait to be a bit richer and buy some of their produce (especially the Japanese Wild Cherry which smelt *amazing* and must be brewed for 45 seconds, and not a second either way!). Which will also go nicely in my new teapot from my lovely girlfriend.

I didn't stay for the fireworks - the band changed and were covering pop songs, which weren't enough to keep me, especilly as I was on my lonesome and had had my fill, so I strolled home.

It's easy to be a critic all the time, and sadly these Olympics have provided much fuel. But why not take these moments, whilst still being mindful of the criticisms, and just enjoy them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...